‘Tis the season for strawberries…Fa la la la la la la la la!
Winter in Mumbai is my favourite. Not only is the air fresh, with a nip I can’t get enough of, but it is also the season of weddings, festivities, NRI visits and…strawberries!
I’ve recently moved to Mumbai after a 6 year stint in NYC (where these delicious red globes of goodness are available year round). But having particular fruits in their season has a different taste altogether.
I was lucky enough to visit the hub of strawberry production this winter…Mahableshwar. Stopping at those Wipro farms for a taste of fresh jam, buying the organgest carrots and reddest strawberries off the vendors on the street has a charm and taste that year round production through imports just cannot replicate.
Strawberries are sweet, with the right amount of seed crunch, healthy and can be transformed and used in so many ways!
Nutritional Information (in 1 cup of strawberries)
Fat: 0 (Woop, woop!)
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fibre: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g (be a little careful here)
Besides being a tad bit on the higher end of the sugar spectrum, strawberries are a win-win fruit. It’s the fruit even your fussy 3 year old will eat because it’s so delicious. And it doesn’t come without it’s health benefits!
- They’re packed with antioxidants like vitamin C
- Boosts immunity
- Helps improve eye health
- Helps fight cancer
- Help fight bad cholesterol
- Fight wrinkles
- Reduce inflammation
- Help regulate blood pressure
- Boost fibre
- Aids weight management (YAY!)
Phew! The list can go on and on. Cut it, slice it, mix it, bake it – there are so many ways to eat this fruit! I’ve outlined some of my favourite and healthiest ways of eating strawberries:
- Eat it raw
- Mix it with fat free Greek yogurt (or Nestle slim dahi for those of you in India), a drizzle of honey and enjoy as a snack or breakfast
- Throw it in the blender with skim milk, agave nectar or honey for sweetness and enjoy a milkshake
- Eat it with low fat vanilla ice-cream for dessert
- Make a low fat strawberry tart (or a full fat one if it’s cheat day!)
- Mix it into a salad with goat cheese, arugula and pine nuts with a reduced balsamic dressing
Have more heathy ways to eat strawberries? Share it with us in the comments below!
In the meanwhile…stay warm and strawberry on!